Meet the Team
Paul Gale founded Impro in 2009, is a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors with over 30 years experience commencing his career with Donaldsons in 1980, joining Hammond Phillips in 1988 for 12 years where he became head of investment.
Paul moved client side in 2000 joining Fordgate Group for 7 years as Property Director, and subsequently Bedrock Capital as Property Director involved in asset managing, developing and building a £1.5 bn property portfolio with major assets nationwide in all sectors.
Having worked both client side and in market facing agency enables us to provide a unique perspective and a well structured business plan for our clients whether it be investment sales, sourcing new investments, asset enhancement or strategic advice.
Chris Dennant FRICS,
Chris qualified as a Fellow of the RICS in 1975 and became a Fellow in 1989 and specialises in rent review, lease renewal and lease re-structuring work in relation to most types of commercial property but with a particular emphasis on retail and office property. He also manages various commercial buildings on behalf of selected clients.
Chris was approached in 2006 by the RICS and asked to consider training as an Arbitrator. Subsequently in 2007 he was appointed to the RICS panel and now regularly receives appointments through the RICS Dispute Resolution Service.
Examples of Significant Career Highlights and Achievements:
- Work on large industrial portfolio valuation, largely in the north-west, covering circa 4M sq ft.
- First UK rent review for Toys R Us Limited in 1988. Subsequent retainer to act for them on the majority of their portfolio.
- Retained by Reject Shop to advise on all rent reviews and property matters until purchase of the company by another retailer.
- Retained by owner of Cwmbran Town Centre to advise on all rent reviews and lease renewals. This involved the negotiation of new leases on a full service charge basis, where the previous leases had been inclusive of service charge.
- Advice on first rent review of the BT Headquarters building in the City, at the time one of the largest rents in London.
Roger Dunlop (Hons) MRICS IRRV,
Roger has specialised in the field of rental valuations and landlord and tenant negotiations for rent reviews and lease renewals in most types of property and in dealing with rating valuation appeals in both the central London office and national retail markets. Accordingly, Roger is a skilled negotiator but also has considerable experience of 3rd party proceedings (i.e. Arbitration and Independent Expert representations) and also in acting as an Expert Witness during Lease Renewal procedures. In addition, he regularly represents clients before the Valuation Tribunal on rating appeal cases.
- 4 years at The Valuation Office in Central London.
- Original background in rating and valuation work.
- 10 years at Michael Laurie – Head of Rating Department.
- Over 20 years experience of landlord and tenant and rating matters.
- Founding Partner – Ashwell Rogers
Some of Roger’s most notable recent achievements include:
- Obtaining the instruction from Genus UK Limited t/a “Select” (a ladies fashion retailer) to provide advice on all professional aspects of their property portfolio, comprising about 140 retail stores throughout England and Wales.
- Being retained to act for the out-of-town retailer, Toy R Us Limited, on rating appeals under both the 2005 and 2010 Rating Lists.
- Retained by Sportsdirect.com Retail Limited, the largest sports retailer in the UK, to deal with rent reviews on several of their large high street stores throughout the UK.
- Negotiating a nil increase on the rent review of a 22,000 sq ft contained office building in central London for the tenant and agreeing a re-gearing of the lease, thereby securing a capital payment equivalent to 12 months rent from the landlord in return for the removal of a tenant only break clause.
- Providing valuations for a major German Bank for loan security purposes of a £60 million shopping centre in the North-East of England and a £36 million office building in the West End of London.
- Until they went into Administration at the end of 2008 he had also advised Whittard of Chelsea exclusively on all rent review and lease renewal matters since the inception of Ashwell Rogers back in January 1996 and dealt with the appeals against their rating assessments on all Rating Lists since the introduction of the 1990 Rating List through to the end of the 2005 Rating List.